Design + Innovation Speaker Series
Our first Design + Innovation Speaker Series event was a great success, bringing together key players in the health, aged care and design sectors.
Held at the Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) on 7 October, the event explored the health and wellbeing benefits of designing with nature, specifically for aged care.
Keynote speakers included architect Phil Smith, Associate Director at Deicke Richards; Dr Judy McCrow, Manager of Clinical Practice Development at Churches of Christ Care; and Dr Anthony French, FRACP, Consultant Physician and Geriatrician at Brisbane, St Vincent’s and Greenslopes Private Hospitals.
The speakers provided valuable insights from a range of perspectives including:
– Understanding the needs and desires of the seniors population,
– The importance of creating a sense of community and ageing in neighbourhood,
– Using nature to build ‘cognitive ramps’ to aid seniors with vision, hearing, mobility and cognitive impairments,
– Considering all senses of sight, smell, touch, hearing and taste, and
– Providing both freedom and security.
We thank all of our speakers and those in attendance and look forward to hosting more Design + Innovation Speaker Series events in 2016.