The University of Queensland’s Forgan Smith Building
The University of Queensland’s Forgan Smith building was renovated, transforming the existing 1948 building into a modern, collaborative, interactive and innovative learning space.
The $35M project’s focus was on amalgamating the law faculties activities and replanning the space into three distinct sections of research and operation suites; a central learning zone; and the law library.
Bligh Tanner were responsible for all upfront investigations of the existing building including inspecting the existing structure to determine if the heritage building could accommodate the proposed renovations and modified floor loadings.
The building’s upper level roof was demolished to allow an increase in the roof height of 500mm, creating a more functional floor space. The process of replacing the building’s roof consisted of removal of the existing roof structure and erection of the new steel framing with particular care taken to protect the heritage features. The new structure features a series of ceiling vaults, reflecting the University’s Great Court.
Internally, demolition works were conducted to allow for a new void area creating a full height atrium in the main entrance.
The building was officially opened by The Hon Justice Susan Kiefel AC, Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia, in early 2017.